January 31, 2007

Why is it wrong to hate?

Matthew 24:10
At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,

John 15:23

He who hates me hates my Father as well.

Titus 3:3
At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another.

1 John 2:9
Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.

1 John 2:11
But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.

1 John 3:15
Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him.

1 John 4:20
If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.

3 comments:

Sharp said...

That is sobering stuff. Only the Spirit can accomplish that kind of life in us. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

David said in Psalm 119:113, "I hate the double-minded, but I love Your law... and Psalm 5:5 "The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity."
So David (a man after God's own heart) and God Himself both hate certain people. I think the best way to explain it is how a minister in my church explains it: "Hate the sin and not the sinner!" I hope this has been helpful. dje514

Mike Wilhelm said...

"Hate the sin and not the sinner!" I think you nailed it! Let's do it!